Monday, February 23, 2015

Laura Dundovic: Dementia and her grandmother

Laura Dundovic's heartbreaking - and honest, inspiring and incredible moving - social media post this evening says is so beautiful. (See below).

Laura - who up until recently was the Australian edition of 'I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here' - made her mark on the reality show in a big way, and soon after she left the reality TV jungle, news broke that her family member had passed away, her grandmother.

I believe it is wonderfully honest to post something like this, Laura. We need to keep talking, talking about dementia, talking about yes, how cruel it is.

Dementia is Australia's third biggest killer (yes), and the more we talk about it, the more we demystify it. And the more we do that, the more we will be prepared when it one day (inevitable) affects somebody we love.

In the end, it took my mother's life away, and I will never stop talking about it. I am lucky that through my book, my mum's memory and legacy lives on.

Just as all your beautiful memories of your grandmother do, Laura.

MUCH love to you and family, Laura.

RIP, Nana.



Dementia is such a cruel cruel illness but just like with everything else Nana you didn't let it stop you from smiling. While it hurts us here not having you around anymore, I know it was just too much in the end. I know that you are in heaven, independent again, like you always loved to be. While it would never feel like the right time to say goodbye, you were so sick for so long and we thought we had lost you many times before, so I am very thankful for the extra few years we got together. Ill miss doing crosswords with you, our coffee and cake breaks, wheelchair races and nursing home sing a longs. Thank you for giving me such a beautiful mother and showing me how strong a woman can be. I love you so much 💕 xx

No comments:

Post a Comment