Sunday, January 4, 2015

Giancarlo Murisciano Facebook Nonna Photo

This simple Facebook post has gone completely viral in a matter of days (at last count 431,228 people had liked it, 42,388 had shared it, and 1,269 comments were posted).

It is a photo posted by Facebook user Giancarlo Murisciano, who posted it on January 1 2015, near Gioia Tauro, Italy (a municipality in the province of Reggio Calabria, in Calabria), about his beloved grandmother.



It is captioned by Giancarlo:

Anche questo è amore.. non è stato il 31 dicembre migliore della mia vita forse..ma anche questo fa parte della vita. ..una volta mi tenevi tu sulle tue gambe adesso lo faccio io nonnina, senza vergogna e senza timore..per ricordare a tutti che la vita va vissuta e va combattuta..e facile scrivere parole su Facebook o altro... nella vita si deve essere presenti sempre e comunque..questo è il mio augurio per il 2015 la presenza di qualcuno accanto che ci possa proteggere e confortare ma anche essere felice e sorridente con noi..

Translated here by me (thank you to my late mamma for sending me to Saturday Italian school and for teaching me Italian at home):

And this also is love. It hasn't been the best 31 December of my life perhaps… but this also is a part of life… at one time you would hold me on your lap and now I am your grandmother, without shame or fear… to remind everyone that life is lived and fought… it's easy to write words on Facebook or other… in life one needs to be always present and anyway… this is my wish for 2015, the presence of someone by our side who can protect and comfort and also be happy and smile with us.


I absolutely adore this photo. It shows the frailty of life, the circle of life, the gratitude we should have towards our elderly, the very people who were young and strong once, who are now so very vulnerable.

Remember this photo, recall the words said, share the post, hold it in your heart. It will serve you well in years to come when your loved one is unwell.

And well done, Giancarlo. It is brave and raw and honest, but most of all… it is LIFE.

1 comment:

  1. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    Buy Facebook Likes

    ReplyDelete